Big problems need small solutions – and a lot of them!
The Cairo Transport App Challenge invites all app creators to develop solutions to the systemic problem of congestion, accidents and pollution – one app at a time!
- think sideways – sometimes it’s the unlikely combinations that work best (what? a short message service with 140 characters for the web? Are you crazy? ;)
- use every data available (for example this data!!)
- be inclusive – design for the everyday person on the street
The problem statements (in arabic)
In the NEWS
- In 2010 over 7000 people died in traffic in Egypt according to official statistics.
- Private vehicles account for 70 percent of the traffic share in Cairo with less than 1.3 people per car.
- President Mohamed Morsi has put traffic as the second most important priority.
- Sexual harassment is biggest barrier for women to use public transport